Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Daddy

 All Geared Up

Dad, Josh, me, Melissa, Mom, Aunt Lisa and Joe (about 1986)

After 27 years with the Portland Fire Bureau, my dad is retiring!  He started out working 2 jobs and going to school for fire science, when I was a baby, and finally got a position "on the line" when I was 3.  He worked as a fire fighter for years but because the "24 hours On/48 hours Off" schedule took him away from our growing family, he decided to work in the Fire Marshall's office for the rest of his career.  He has been a Fire Inspector, HazMat Specialist, Sprinkler Specialist and other positions over the years. I can't remember them all! He's done inspections, alarms, plan review, taught courses at community college, worked his way up to President of the Oregon Fire Marshall's Association, and received the Bronze Medal of Valor in 2005 for rescuing a man from a car fire.

Lukas and Papa (2008)

I remember at least two, "Take your child to work days," that I went to work with Dad.  I was so proud of him and I felt so important as I followed him around his office and the city of Portland.  I've had my picture taken with the big fire coat and helmet on, and now I have pictures of my own children exploring Papa's fire engines.  My favorite memory of my dad, the fire fighter, was in Preschool.  My dad came to talk to the class about fire safety.  He had us all count to 10, while he hid behind the stage curtain and put all his gear on.  He came out so fast, I thought he was a super hero!  It was truly magical to have a fire man for a daddy!

Bethany, Haylee, Lukas, Hannah, Jenna, and Dad (Papa)

So, here's to the next chapter in your life, Dad!  Who knows what great things God has in store for you!  You have been a superb Fire Man, an exceptional Husband, and the greatest Daddy!  I love you so very much and want to thank you for your commitment to the safety of our city!

No comments: