Sunday, August 22, 2010
Infantile Spasms
I HATE them! So he had another EEG. He didn't want to perform the spells he's been having nor did he want to sleep (which somehow gives them a better reading). This was the one time we were praying he would have the spasms so that we could confirm this is what was going on and try to help him. After 40 minutes, the EEG tech (who shared her own miraculous story of childhood seizures, brain surgery and seizure freedom) stopped the test and turned the lights on... And then he started, of course! So she turned it back on and recorded the spasms for about 5 minutes. The next day, the neurologist called and decided to maximize the dose of the medication he had already started. Every 5 days we will increase the dose of Keppra by .2 mL until we reach 1.5 mL, the maximum for his size. The most likely side effect is irritability. Now when I was a mom to healthy babies only, this would not have alarmed me. But with Jaron, irritability is almost unbearable. The last 2 nights have been very difficult. He is agitated, fussing and arching off and on throughout most of the night. Because he gets into such a painful arched position, I can't just let him fuss in the cradle. Every time he moves, I have to get up and reposition him. First we moved his cradle right next to my side of the bed. Last night he was surrounded by 3 pillows in my bed. One under his head, one under his legs and another on the side so he couldn't fall out of the bed. This way I could be closer when I pulled him out of his "C" shape, and not have to get out of bed every time. Times like these, I am very thankful for a king sized bed. When I got up this morning, he was calmly sleeping like a little prince on our huge bed. I had a horrible kink in my neck but I think I got a few hours of sleep, if you add all the minutes together. He has the same issues through the day but it's easier to sit and hold him while he cries when there is daylight. So the side effect is no fun, I'm hoping it will get better as his body adjusts to the increased medication. Also, he is not having any less spasms so it almost seems like a waste but I know we can't give up too quickly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment