The new threat in our house is, "If you don't finish your dinner, we're gonna have to get you a g-tube." (Sometimes I think it would be a good idea for teensy Hannah :) It worked the first time, but unfortunately they caught on to the impossibility of that. Now it's a daily joke!
Jaron is doing great with his new feeding regimen. We haven't changed much, he's still getting 90 mL every 3 hours, slowly dripped in through a pump for an hour. Then at night he is on a continuous slow feed. He hasn't been weighed for a week but at his GI follow up last Friday, he was 12' 5"! He's huge! Every time I try to up the volume he gets upset and throws it up. He just wants to take it slow. I'm just happy with progress, alertness, increased interaction and any growth!
A week ago today, he started having infantile spasms a few times every day. If you're interested, you could find hundreds of videos on YouTube of infantile spasms. It's not as scary as other types of seizures but it means your brain has severe damage and will never be normal. I found myself pretty emotional about them because I just don't like it. I don't like what it means. I don't like what it looks like. I don't like how it makes him feel agitated and not himself all day. I don't like that I'm powerless to help him. Just when we started to really see him become interactive and smile, this started. We are loving that he is smiling! That was the one wish Brian and I both had. It took him a lot longer than normal babies so we were afraid maybe he never would smile. I just wanted to know that he could show his emotions and that we'd be able to see joy in his life. I've never been so overjoyed (like I get that giddy, "butterflies in your stomach" feeling) to see my baby smile and even making sounds! WE ALL LOVE IT!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment