Thursday, July 15, 2010

quick hospital update

It's late and the baby is sleeping so this should be quick.  Turns out he was definitely aspirating, it was very obvious on the x-ray.  They made some phone calls and sent us upstairs to the Pediatric floor of Emanuel Hospital to be admitted.  He got a nasogastric tube which is a temporary source to feed him with a tube in his nose that leads down to his stomach.  They are doing different tests to determine the severity of his acid reflux.  There are several different options which I'm too tired to explain but I will let you know what they decide and when they plan to do it when I know.  For now we sit and wait and try to get him to gain weight.  The kids came to visit today.  They have a neat sibling hospital visit program.  The kids got bags of hospital stuff (gloves, face mask, hospital bracelet, bandaid, syringe), a cloth doll with a little gown on, a beanie baby, and then a hospital play set (like you can get at Toys R' Us).  It was great to show them Jaron's room and see that he's ok.  They made cards with their Auntie Katy so we taped them all over his hospital crib!  We walked around the Children's Garden at the center of the hospital and they even got to make little butterfly masks.  It was great to have them here!  I'm lucky to have a NICU nurse for a sister! Melissa spent the night with Jaron last night so that I could get a good night sleep at home and wake up to the kids this morning!  We are so blessed in the midst of all these challenges!

No comments: