Thursday, February 10, 2011
"Not yet..."
Jaron had his 10 month well-child visit with his new pediatrician. When I checked-in they gave me a checklist of developmental milestones for a 9-10 month old child. I have never done one of these for a pediatrician before, apparently they started using them a year ago and will track your child's development through 18 months or so. Now, had you given me this list with one of my other kids, I would have been tempted to feel pride about my "right on track" child, and confidently checked off each one. Well, that was... not fun. I'm not sure what my emotion was... Sad, frustrated, angry, humbled, annoyed... yes. It's one of those things. It's just totally different to be the parent of a special needs child. I adore Jaron with my whole heart. I think that I have appreciated him for who he is and not had unfair expectations for him. I've been amazed that my other kids accept him completely as well. Lukas just noticed a month ago, that his cousin who is 2 months younger than Jaron, is sitting up and Jaron isn't. When he asked Abby, my sis-in-law, why Ashley was doing things and Jaron was not, she very sweetly explained that Jaron is special and will not be able to do some of the things that other babies can do. Lukas fully accepted this explanation and he rather beams at the mention of his little brother being "special!" BUT, to fill out a 3 page questionnaire comparing your special child to a normal child's development is sad. The answer possibilities were "yes" "sometimes" or "not yet" And some of the questions were "Can your child..." Say "mama" "dada", pick up a cheerio with 2 fingers, walk along furniture, drink out of a sippy cup, etc. I had to mark the "not yet" box on EVERY SINGLE question. (sigh) I have taken many things in stride and I will continue, this was just a little set back, for a minute. Moving on. "We'll show them, right Jaron?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thank you so much for your honest heart. I love you dearly and am praying for you. Jaron could not have a more perfect mama for him. Love you!
Check this box... Loved by God! Adored by God! Protected by God! Watched by God! Chosen by God! Blessed by God! Gods child! Sent to us for His ultimate glory!
Thanks Uncle Josh! Made me smile! I could check the box for One Proud Mommy too!
Right on Josh :)
Well said Josh :)
Post a Comment