Just finished 2 rounds of Augmentin (antibiotics) in the month of January. First for an ear infection and then for a sinus infection. Because the fever and cough were getting worse over the weekend, we found a Pediatric Urgent Care in Portland. It's the only urgent care that always has a pediatrician available. So we didn't have to take him to the ER!!! Huge relief! We saw Dr. Bell, retired after 38 years as a pediatrician and now he works part time for "fun". Now that's a good doctor! My sis came along and we asked him lots of questions, learned new things, and I even asked him for a pediatrician recommendation. I have been feeling like I need a fresh start. I didn't have any choice when Jaron was born. My state insurance limited who I could take him to so the decision was made for me. The neurologist we have seen since the first seizure, refuses to work with the local dietician on the ketogenic diet which the neuro said we needed to try, so I already have to start with a new neurologist. And she talked to my pediatrician, who was going to help us begin the diet, and convinced him to back out on us as well. So, I've decided to go to the doctor at Metropolitan Peds who Dr. Bell spoke so highly of. And we finally have a referral in at OHSU Neurology, so we'll see...
We have SLOWLY begun the ketogenic diet as well. We have the formula and the glucose/ketone testing meters that we needed. We are doing it with our Naturopath and a dietician who has developed the safest protocol for managing the diet. Her protocol/therapeutic order: Lab work to correct any deficiencies ie. lipid or carnitine. Transition to diet at home gradually depending on how the child tolerates it. Test blood using Precision Xtra glucometer and manage levels from home (blood sugar 60-75 and ketones 4-7). I love that we don't have to go to the hospital and expose an otherwise "healthy" baby to hospital germs. I fully trust our dietician's research and 14+ years of experience strictly using this diet. We started by adding 1 teaspoon of the KetoCal formula twice a day to his regular feedings (gut prep). Every 2 to 4 days we will add a teaspoon until he is up to an ounce. Then we will start taking an ounce of regular formula out and so on. It will probably take 2 months to be fully on the diet. In the hospital setting he would have been completely switched over within 3 days and then sent home. If I know my boy, then I KNOW that transition would not go over well with him! Big changes never do. Actually little changes seem to throw him...
When we were first introduced to Carrie, the dietician, she gave me a list of supplements to start him on to address his elevated liver enzymes, low tone and seizures. We began giving Jaron Milk Thistle for his liver, Omega 3/DHA fish oil, Carnitine/CoQ10 for tone and seizures, and rubbing on Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for his eczema. I already had him on Probiotics for digestion and the Naturopath added Turmeric for upper respiratory congestion and liver. Hopefully all these things over the long run will bolster his immune system and they are just great antioxidants.
2 comments:
I'm so glad to hear that you have found some better medial attention for Jaron. We are praying for his little body!
Bill and Kristin
Sounds great - I'll be praying for his transition. You are a wonderful mother, dear Monica!
Post a Comment